Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Hanoi Red River Island Birding

Accompanied by my new friend Nick, we ventured out birding to the river island in Hanoi on the 13th. We stuck to the north end. Results can be found by going to www.ebird.ca which is where I will be entering all of my Vietnamese checklists over the next 3 months.

Highlights were as follows:

Manchurian Bush-warbler 1
Pale-legged Bush-warbler 3
Dusky Thrush 1
Bluethroat 1
Western Marsh-harrier 1
Thick-billed Warbler 1
Hoopoe 1
Black-faced Bunting 1
Yellow Bittern 1
Burmese Shrike 1

On the 12th I had the female Gorgeted Flycatcher in the Botanical Gardens. I must say that other than the island, I have found birding Hanoi rather rediculous and incredibly few to be found with even the stealthiest pursuit.

I have had about 60 species in the Hanoi area in about a weeks time.

Cheers,

Andrew Keaveney

1 comment:

  1. Hi, Im Zaim. ill be heading to Hanoi soon and am trying to get some information on birding around Hanoi. Is there any exact spot at the Red River to bird? Any precautions? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete